- The student must provide documentation that they have Cerebral Palsy.
- The student must be planning to attend a post secondary institution or training program during the following year. For example, a university, college, technical school or a private training centre. Proof of enrollment must be provided before the cheque is issued.
- The student must show proof that they are over the age of 17 or provide their School Completion Certificate or Diploma.
- The student must submit a short biography and explain their future plans. This biography should include any information that will be useful to the selection committee. This would include program requirements that have been met, extra-curricular activities and outside interests.
- The student should submit at least two letters of reference and one should be from a teacher, doctor or employer.
- The student is required to submit the 2020 Education Bursary Application (below) and requested documents described in the check list form.
- Please note that successful applicants will be required to complete 30 hours of community service during their academic year in order to be considered for a bursary in subsequent years.
The deadline for the application is Friday, September 4th, 2020.
NOTE: Guidelines and criteria set out herein are for general reference only. Final decision and criteria are the sole discretion of the CPABC and are not appealable.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use the money for many types of learning. This could include, but is not limited to, Universities (University of British Columbia), Colleges (Kwantlen College), Technical Schools (British Columbia Institute of Technology), Institutes (The Justice Institute), a private school or college (Sprott/Shaw College), an apprenticeship program or a short term training program. You can use the bursary money for books, equipment or other school-related expenses with the goal of improving competency or employment opportunities.
You need to be over the age of 17 or have your high school graduation certificate (in British Columbia this is called a “Dogwood Diploma”) or a School Completion Certificate.
Yes, you need to currently be a Resident of British Columbia. You need to have been a Resident of British Columbia for a minimum of one year, although you may request money to study at an institution outside of the province or the country.
Yes you do. The bursary is only for people with CP. You must provide documentation that you have Cerebral Palsy. This can be documentation from a private physiotherapist, occupational therapist or a school file. It does not have to be from a physician.
You must have your application postmarked no later than September 4th 2020 for the next academic year. Proof of enrollment is needed to apply for the bursary. Please send in high school graduation certificate or Dogwood Diploma upon receipt.
You will receive a letter confirming that you have been awarded a bursary. When you have shown proof of payment (for example a bill or invoice for the courses you have enrolled in) money will be sent directly to you.
If you have received the bursary more than once, you are welcome to reapply. Please note that higher priority may be given to first time applicants.
You can present your application in any way you communicate. This includes bringing someone along to help you. You can also have someone assist you with the process. Make sure we have your name, address and phone number so we can arrange this.
This is the order of the pages for the completed bursary application. You must complete the checklist and return it to the office.
- Bursary application
- Proof that you have Cerebral Palsy
- A short biography
- Proof that the student is over the age of 17 or a School Completion Certificate or Diploma
- Resume and 2 letters of reference cannot come from family members but come from people with a professional background that the applicant has been involved with for example, teacher, doctor or employer.
If your application is approved, you will then need to provide proof of acceptance or registration before we release the funds to you.
School transcripts and completed bursary applications will be accepted post marked no later than 4 PM on Friday, September 4th.
2020 Education Bursary Application