On October 6th, 2019, BC will light up greenWorld Cerebral Palsy Day is a global movement of people with cerebral palsy and their families, and the organisations that support them, in more than 60 countries. The day is an opportunity to celebrate, raise awareness and take action to ensure that people with CP have the same rights, access and opportunity as anyone else in their communities. This year we need your help: Find out how you can bring World CP Day to your community. World CP Day is a grassroots effort and we have the most success at raising awareness about cerebral palsy when people with CP are speaking out. So we’re encouraging you to help your community recognize World CP Day. Whether it’s through a proclamation, a landmark being lit up, a public talk or rally, or something entirely different, let us know what you have in mind and we’ll help empower you to make it happen!
For more information on World CP Day 2019, contact:
Lindsay Macleod, Events and Development Coordinator E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 604.408.9484 Website: www.worldcpday.org Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/worldCPday
World Cerebral Palsy Day 2018
Below shows the various pinned locations that participated in raising awareness for World CP Day by lighting up green last year!
List of locations lighting up green:
- Port Coquitlam City Hall
- Canada Place Sails of Light
- Fitzsimmons Covered Bridge Whistler
- Mr. PG – Prince George
- Science World
- Anvil Centre New West
- Kelowna Sails – Abbott Street
World Cerebral Palsy Day 2017
The Resort Municipality of Whistler will have the Village Stroll Gazebo in front of the Whistler Town Plaza Suites lit up green in support of Cerebral Palsy Awareness on October 6th, 2017.
Port Coquitlam will light up city hall green in support of World Cerebral Palsy Day on October 6th, 2017.
Cerebral Palsy [CP] Day is an excellent opportunity for those of us with CP to educate the rest of the world, particularly our own communities, with respect to this affliction and the tremendous potential and ability that we all have, despite our condition. As with any such condition, there is tremendous uncertainty, almost mystery, for those who do not have, or do not know someone with, CP, as to what CP is and is not and the potential for great contributions to our world by those of us who do have CP. Thus this day provides a platform to provide information which will assist in educating others and, hopefully, break down barriers which continued to the exist for those of us trying to live, learn and work with CP. For me, it is a day during which those of was with CP should take the opportunity to provide the knowledge, information and expertise that we have gathered throughout our lives, to assess and fulfilling our responsibility to educate and inform our communities on we are, how far we have come and what challenges remain and which need to change, in order to benefit not only persons with CP but society as a whole.
What is World Cerebral Palsy Day?
World Cerebral Palsy Day [WCPD] is a social movement of, by and for the CP community. World CP Day encourages action taken locally to help realize the global movement for change.
To ensure that individuals with Cerebral Palsy have the same rights, access and opportunities as anyone else.
Why do we want to raise awareness?
Cerebral palsy (CP) is the most common physical disability in childhood and is also one of the least understood. Here are reasons why we need to raise awareness:
- Doctors are reluctant to make a diagnosis
- Many people receive ineffective therapies
- Many individuals and their families lack access to basic information and support
- Little money is being spent on research
- Many societies keep people with CP out of sight, out of mind and out of options
Let’s take action
On World CP Day, we will combine our resources, energy and knowledge to share our stories and ideas.
We will tell the world … I AM HERE … WE ARE HERE
I Am Here
- Your success stories and solutions can be applied in other places. Encourage others like you to overcome challenges. Add your story to the World CP Day Map.
- Whether you promote World CP Day in your office, on the streets, or via social media, every effort counts. Use the tools to take action in your town, city or country.
We Are Here
Help make World CP Day a success in your area.
- Write to your politicians and local media to let them know about World CP Day and any landmarks being lit up where you live.
- Take a picture of yourself on World CP Day and share it with #WorldCPDay to help raise awareness.
- Use the World CP Day tools to help spread the word.